Preparation: 20 minutes (plus marinating time)
Cooking: 40 minutes
Ready in: 1 hour (plus marinating time)
- 8 chicken pieces, drumsticks and thighs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 red chillies, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Handful of parsley, roughly chopped for garnish
- Lemon, for serving
- Saffron couscous stuffed peppers:
- 4 red peppers, topped and deseeded
- 1 cup couscous
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Pinch saffron
- 100g green olives, pitted
- 1 400g tinned chickpeas
- 1 teaspoon fresh dill
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- Olive oil
- In a small bowl, mix the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, chillies and all the spices together to form a marinade.
- Coat the chicken pieces in the marinade and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge an hour before braaing so the meat can come to room temperature.
- In the meantime, add boiling vegetable stock, saffron and raw couscous in a bowl, cover and leave for about 5 to 10 minutes until the water is absorbed and the couscous is tender.
- Fluff with a fork and stir in the chickpeas, green olives, dill and garlic cloves. Generously drizzle over olive oil and season well with salt.
- Cut the tops of the peppers off, remove all the seeds and spoon the couscous mixture into the peppers.
- Prepare your braai and grill the chicken pieces over medium temp coals, basting with leftover marinade and turning regularly until just cooked through for succulent meat, about 40 minutes.
- Garnish the chicken with fresh parsley and a squeeze of lemon. Serve with saffron stuffed peppers.
Cook the peppers over medium to low heat coals until softened and lightly blistered.
Browse 1000’s of products available to you. Select your country to Shop Online.