4 – 6
- Extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- 8 baby aubergines, halved
- 4 baby fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 500g baby tomatoes, halved
- 1 chorizo sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 roasted red pepper, cut into strips
- 120g green beans, trimmed
- 2 cups short-grain rice (like arborio or carnaroli)
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1ℓ vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Chopped fresh parsley, use for garnish
Heat the skottel braai (or a large frying pan) and add the olive oil. Working in batches, sauté the aubergines, fennel and tomatoes separately until they are golden brown, then remove from the pan and set them aside.
Add a little more oil to the skottel and sauté the chorizo, onion and garlic until soft, then add smoked paprika and red pepper and put the aubergines, fennel and tomatoes back into the pan. Arrange the green beans on top and sprinkle over the rice. Pour over the wine and enough stock to cover the rice, then simmer gently until all the liquid has been absorbed (about 10 minutes). Cover the rice with more stock and cook again for another 10 minutes or until the rice is al dente. Season well with salt and pepper and lemon juice and scatter parsley over before serving.
For a seafood paella, simply swop out the vegetable stock for fish stock and add mussels, prawns, fish or calamari tubes along with the green beans.