Twenty reasons to mulch.
In today’s climate mulching has become an essential part of gardening. Using mulch on your lawn and in your flower beds has benefits whether it is rainy, dry, hot or cold. Mulch is created from normal garden waste, so it is free.
- Adds organic matter to your soil. This helps make your garden healthier and more resistant to pest and disease.
- Provides valuable slow-release nutrients and prevents vitamin loss in plants.
- Helps retain moisture in the soil for longer. Mulch prevents evaporation by shielding the soil from the sun. It also reduces water run-off during rain or watering. This reduces the amount of water needed.
- Shades delicate seedlings from too much sun. (A mini umbrella.)
- Reduces time spent watering. (Saves time and money.)
- “Mulch can retain up to 70% more water in the soil than unmulched soil.”
- It serves as a great insulator by regulating soil temperature and keeps roots consistently cool in summer and warm in winter. (Reduces plant stress.)
- Provides a natural barrier to stop weeds from growing and competing with plants for nutrients. How? By blocking the sunlight. You’ll find it easier to remove the few weeds that do grow. (Saves you time.)
- Increases biological activity in your soil. How? By providing beneficial micro-organisms and earthworms with food.
- Improves soil conditions. Helps to bind sandy soils and open up clay soils.
- Saves you time and energy cultivating the soil.
- Stops nutrients from leaching out of the soil.
- Protects plants from frost damage by acting as a protective ‘blanket’.
- Provides a clean surface for produce like fruit and nuts to fall onto, ready for harvesting.
- Improves soil drainage and structure as it decomposes.
- Provides support around plants, especially young seedlings.
- Recycles waste materials, e.g. organic mulches like grass clippings and leaves.
- Protects plants from mud-splash during watering or rain.
- Prevents erosion and soil compaction particularly from foot traffic on pathways and play areas.
- Improves the visual appearance of your garden.
- Can provide a home for plant-friendly insects.
Browse 1000’s of products available to you. Select your country to Shop Online.