Follow our guide on what fruits, veggies and flowers to plant, harvest and maintain in your garden in July.
- Plant or transplant deciduous trees now, while they’re at their most dormant.
- Plant roses in cool-climate areas where they grow best.
- Spray Efekto Oleum to control overwintering eggs of sap sucking pests such as aphids, woolly aphids and scale, as well as overwintering fungus spores that spread disease.
- Prune roses (wait until later in cold climates) – use sharp secateurs and a good-quality saw. Spray bush and soil with Efekto Kumulus WG immediately after pruning.
- Control creeping sorrel in winter lawns by getting rid of it now with Efekto Hormoban APM or Efekto Turfweeder 457,5 SL. For smaller areas, use Efekto No-Weed Lawn RTU.
- Feed citrus towards the end of the month with Wonder Organic Granular Fertiliser Vita-Boost + C (8) or with Wondersol All Purpose.
- In the subtropics, fertilise mangoes by putting some Wonder 3:1:5 (26) SR into a series of holes poked into the soil beneath the outer foliage.
- Tidy dead flowering stems from cymbidium orchids and feed plants with Wondersol All Purpose.
- Control snails and slugs that are encouraged by moist weather by sprinkling Snailban pellets among clumps of foliage.
- Spray stone fruit at pink bud stage with Efekto Virikop to control leaf curl.
- Reduce frost injury by gently hosing over plant material first thing in the morning.
- Winter lawns can become infested with broadleaf weeds. Get rid of them now with Efekto Banweed MCPA, Efekto Hormoban APM or Efekto Turfweeder 457,5 SL. For smaller areas use Efekto No-Weed Lawn RTU.
- Remember to carry on controlling conifer aphids with Efekto Plant Protector or Efekto Insecticide Granules Plus.
Lemons, limes, mandarins, grapefruit, oranges and kumquats are all ripening and ready for harvest. Avocados will begin to ripen in some areas.
- All deciduous fruit trees can be planted in July, August and September, while the plants are still dormant. The widest selection will be available in garden stores and nurseries now. When planting, remember fruit trees require a position in full sun. Shelter from strong prevailing winds is preferable.
- Raspberries, currants, gooseberries, blueberries, boysenberries, blackberries can all be planted too.
- It’s also strawberry planting time. To ensure a good crop, the plants need to have a period of winter chilling. The cold temperature helps to stimulate the flower buds, which produce the fruit.
- Prepare beds by working soil over with a fork, blend in Wonder Organic Granular Fertiliser Vita-Boost + C (8) before planting.
- In frost-prone areas or for sensitive plants, protect tender fruit trees with Efekto Plant Protection Cover.
- Move tender fruiting crops growing in containers somewhere warmer for the winter.
- Spray deciduous fruits trees with a winter clean-up spray (Efekto Kumulus WG and Efekto Oleum) to remove any lingering pests and diseases.
- Before pruning begins in earnest, sharpen secateurs, saws and loppers.
- Grapes, apples, pears and apricots.
Winter roses, dianthus, violets, snapdragons and ornamental kale.
Poppies, lupins, sweet peas, wildflowers, calendula. In warm areas, petunias and impatiens can be sown too.
Blend in a layer of Wonder Organic Granular Fertiliser Vita-Boost + C (8) to spring flower beds and allow to settle for a month or so prior to planting.
- When pruning, remember to seal the pruning wounds with Efekto Steriseal.
- Use Efekto Kumulus WG instead of Efekto Lime Sulphur as it lasts longer and can be used during the warmer months for controlling powdery mildew and thrips.
Beetroot, broccoli, cabbages, cauliflowers, celery, garlic, kale, rocket, spinach, onions and coriander.
Blend Wonder 2:3:2 (14) + C (8) SR Bio-Carbon Boost into garden beds prior to planting garlic and onions. Mix Wonder 2:3:2 (14) + C (8) SR Bio-Carbon-Boost. into garden beds before planting seed potatoes.
Beetroot, Brussels sprouts, cabbages, celery, horseradish, kale, leeks, winter lettuces and parsnips.
Referenced from Efekto , Green Fingers : Your gardening and product guide from Efekto
Browse 1000’s of products available to you.
Select your country to Shop Online.